Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Discouragement or Being Realistic

So today, I've been thinking about discouragement and being realistic again. I was reading an article in O Magazine and had a quick series of thoughts come to mind that I wanted to get out.

I remember moving here to DC and telling someone that I was on the edge of something great and I didn't know what it was but I knew that God had something great here for me. The person that I was enthusiastically speaking to, told me in that "be realistic voice" that maybe it wasn't something huge, it could just be something small. She was trying to keep me from being disappointed - but was that necessary?

I don't think it was.

Why do we do that to people? Why are we always discouraging people from moving forward with their dreams or fully embracing their intuitive thoughts of the greatness that is coming within their lives? I know part of it is that we don't want to see someone we love hurt. We don't want people to get their hopes up only to find that they misread situations and yearnings that seemed so apparent and pulling at the time. I get it. Nobody wants their loved ones to hurt.

I think another reason we do this is jealousy. Many of us don't want anyone to be better than us. We wonder why this person has these feelings of greatness but we don't. We feel that we are being continuously handed the short end of the stick, I think. (I need to think about that more and flesh it out - but I think there's a lot of truth here).

So anywho - this all comes to mind to say that we need to stop. We need to stop discouraging people. We need to push people to live their dreams and push toward their intuitive leanings. What is that saying...? "If you reach for the moon but miss, at least you'll end up among the stars." (Something like that) Let's keep pushing people to be their best selves and really embrace their talents and completely perceive what their intuition (or God) is telling them to do. Almost everyone great who has had an amazing impact on the world has been deemed crazy to some degree. 

If we never take the chances necessary to become "great" we never will be.